13.6.11

Of Drinking Beers and Disco Lights



                Is drinking a necessity on a typical Friday night? Nowadays, it is already a fact that the number of teenagers who drink liquor is extremely increasing. And I can be a witness to that because I have been to a place where most people are drunk teenagers who think only about dancing, drinking and sex.
                On a typical Friday night, my friends and I went to a famous bar in Cebu. The crowd was ecstatic and everyone was dancing and drinking at the same time. It was a typical party night in the city. As the night heated up, I noticed that most of the people at the bar were teenagers and I must say, they were as wild like animals. They drink liquor as if there was no tomorrow and they lit their cigarettes as if they have no lungs. I know this is now the world teenagers enjoy and live in. But for me, I think that there are still limitations to everything. I know one should party and loosen up, but not to extent that one will have to be drunk and become like possessed wild animal. The attitude of becoming like Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan on party events is becoming a fad to the teenagers. The reason why teenagers drink and smoke is because it is one way to gain friends and be tagged as cool.  Some teenagers just do it for popularity sake or peer pressure.
                Filipinos are really influenced by the western attitude. We always try to become like them. From the way we act, talk to the way we dress and eat. We are becoming western clones without considering our own values and tradition as a Filipino. But still, I don’t think Filipinos look good in a tuxedo considering our dark skin and flat nose, right?
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment